Wednesday 1 April 2009

Anna Efthymiou Blog 3

1.Our main devising method we are using for Porto is RSVP. We began the devising process of Porto at the ‘R’ phase - this stands for research/resource. During this time we learnt the necessities and key techniques that we would need to apply whilst creating a piece of physical theatre. These are varied greatly from skills such as safety and stamina to achieving neutrality, finding our centre and using body memory. We were then introduced to the idea of Porto. I feel this was a good time to introduce the idea to us as if we knew at an earlier stage it may have effected our development as a company and ability to work equally as an ensemble, as characters would have been created to look aesthetically pleasing rather then having a reason behind movements and choices. The research for Porto was highly dependent on open ‘play’ sessions; these enabled us to discover our characters in different ways. The gave us the chance to experiment and find connections with other characters, however there are some characters who do not feel it would be right for them to interact with other characters. The developments throughout the ‘R’ phase were drastic in individual characters, small groups and the ensemble; this became increasingly apparent during the ‘S’ phase. The ‘S’ stands for scoring, this is where all of the ‘research’ created during the first stage begins to take shape and the ‘play’ scenes become more structured. I feel the ‘S’ phase was introduced at an appropriate time for the company and the change in devising methods added another level for us to develop from which was what we needed at that stage.

2.






3. At the beginning of the ‘R’ phase in the devising process I felt that my character would not feel comfortable approaching or confronting another character we spent many hours in ‘play’ developing our characters and discovering any connections. After one of the sessions I realised the reason that I had been struggling, I was thinking what I thought was my characters needs and would want rather then what my character wants, the only way I could discover that would be to allow my character to develop freely without controlling her. Once I had identified that problem I became more willing to let my characters path change slightly, however, it was not until the scoring phase that I began to develop my emotions on a new level and for them to actually start effecting me rather then just my character. I began to want to protect people who seemed timid or scared, it was my characters way of hiding her own upsets, this is what drew me to Laurens character. Once the trio connection between myself Lauren and Edward was discovered I was excited to enter the ‘S’ phase where we would be able to structure the work we had devised so we could begin to work on the emotional intensity with our characters. We have now reached the stage where we have finished structuring it and each time we perform it the emotions change slightly, which I like as it keeps it fresh and will stop us getting into a routine and losing our connections with each other and our own characters.

No comments:

Post a Comment